Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Someone asked me "if you were asked what ethnic are you, what would you say?"
I replied, "Chinese" and she said "so you associate yourself w the prc? I would say I am a Singaporean"

I paused.
I am a chinese, cos of my genetic make up.

I replied, " I am a chinese, but if someone asks me where I am from, I would say I am from Singapore".

I am proud to be a Chinese Singaporean.
I am proud of my chinese heritage and I am proud of my country.



I was then sent a link of a letter. To put it short, like what da zhu said, its all about complaints.

It said, Singapore lacks human qualities that are found in other countries, thus people falls in love with them instead of Singapore.
It said, Singapore is like a "fickle adolescence" who cant decide which culture it wants to be in.
It said, Singapore does not not where it wants to be.
And the only two para that I concur, would be the request for Singapore to turn more compassionate and to change the world for the better.

I don't think Singapore lacks human qualities, but I think we lack the kind of human qualities the author wanted.

I don't think Singapore is being "fickle", but I think Singapore is trying its best to catch up w the so called more developed country while holding on to their asian roots. Its not about being fickled, it is about accomondation at its very best.
This clash of values is inevitable.

It reminded me of how I see myself change. How I opened myself and embrace other ideas. I said to "I intend to hold on to my asia values" she said, "So if your kids wants to move out at 18, ure going to let them?" I said "Yes, if they want to. If not, I'll still support them"
To me, the values I intend to hold would be the idea of being respectful to your elders and the manners ure expected to carry with you.

I may disagree with certain policies enacted, but there is a need to understand where it is coming from. We can't expect Singapore to meet everybody's demand, but we can try to slowly accept it as we liberalise ourselves.
More importantly, I think it is crucial to realise that everybody is developing at different rate and it is becoz of that, that we need to be patient as we await for changes.

Or, we should strive to change.

What I find more upsetting would be the fact that so often or not, it is a certain group of people who decides Singapore is never good enough for them. I guess, for the fact that they have the capablility to think, helps.

After being away for so long, my feelings for Singapore has definitely grown. When I was young, I wanted to get out. Now that I am out, I realise how much I want to be back in eventually.

Singapore day is coming to melbourne and I am so excited about it :D
SINGAPORE FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: